Here is an outline of the instructions for how to install a galvanised clothesline.
- Before you begin, read the owner's manual
- Layout all the parts to ensure nothing is missing
- Select a suitable site with about 1 m clearance on all sides
- You will need the following tools:
- Screw Drivers (Flathead and Philips)
- Good Quality read to mix quick-dry cement
- Metal Aggregate (Coarse gravel to place at the bottom of the hole)
- Dig a hole 800 mm deep and 200 mm wide. Place the coarse gravel to place at the bottom of the hole
- Place the "Main Standard" in the hole and check if it is a convenient height for the person who will want to hang washing
- Fit the arms into the cross. Note: Ensure the cross in the correct position.
- Place the arm stay brackets. It's important not to fully tighten any of the screws at this stage
- Attached the arms to the arm stay brackets.
- Ensure the top cap (lower assembly) is in place at the top of the pole and locating bolt on the cross aligns with the bolt on the lower assembly
- Place the upper assembly on the top cap. Ensure all the screws are tightened on the upper assembly.
- Tighten all screws
- Gently tap in the end caps
- Uncoil the wire out across your lawn
- Starting from the closest line to the centre thread the wire through the wire staples
- Tie off the wire using pliers
- Ensure all the wire staples are facing up at 90 degrees
- Mix the concrete as per the instructions. This can be done in a bucket or wheelbarrow, or directly in the hole if you are experienced with quick-dry cement.
- Ensure the clothesline is level. Do not use for 3 days after installation
- If desired you can replace the grass over the hole
Happy Clothes Drying 🙂
Want some help to install a clothesline?
Auckland Clotheslines can help
If you don’t think you have the skills or time to install your washing line, then Auckland Clotheslines can do it for you.
We offer a clothesline installation service for a range of clothesline makes and models in Auckland and Christchurch.
Contact us to discuss the best clothesline for you.